Monday, December 21, 2015

SICKNESS IS IN THE AIR

It has been a long, long 6-8 weeks at our house.  All of us have been sick.  So sick the story is almost comical.  It started with Ben before we left for Florida.  Ben had a horrible cough that was keeping him up at night.  I ended up taking him to the doctor a few days before we left for our trip thinking maybe we could all be healthy on vacation this time! Ben was diagnosed with pneumonia.  He got on medicine and seemed to be doing better. 

Eli was another story.  Eli wasn't his usual happy self. I thought maybe he was teething. We leave for vacation and to our dismay, he got sick the night we landed.... all over Nana's new outdoor rug and furniture. He was off the entire trip and was not feeling good on the flight home.  I thought we were over it and then the night after we got home, Alex was up all Friday night throwing up multiple times.

Fast forward to Monday and all the kids go to school.  Eli still seemed a little clingy but I thought maybe that was because he had been with us and held so much. I asked daycare if they thought he was off and they did. I took him to the doctor Monday afternoon and the doctor looked at me like I was a crazy over protective mom when I said I didn't know what was wrong with him but that something was.  They ended up doing a strep test and he was diagnosed with strep.  Poor guy probably had it the entire time we were in Florida. 

I mentioned to the doctor that Alex had been sick over the weekend and she recommended bringing him in for a strep test as well.  I took Eli home and picked up Alex and went back to the doctors for a strep test. Sure enough he tested positive.

Ben seemed to be holding strong.  Both Alex and Eli received medication and needed to stay home the next day.  10:00pm Monday night rolls around and Ryan and I look at each other exhausted and comment how fortunate we are that Ben is still healthy when all of a sudden we hear a noise upstairs. Ryan jokes and says,"I am sure it is Ben sick now".  He goes upstairs and yes, Ben is now sick and proceeds to get sick 8 or 9 times that night. 

Tuesday all 3 kids are home sick.  We start Ben on the medicine but still need to take him in.  I am starting to get a really sore throat at this point. 

Wednesday, Alex is still home with a temperature.  Ben had been on the medicine and was feeling fine. I picked up Ben from school and have Alex with me.  We needed to go get tested for strep for Ben so he could receive more medicine.  I also wanted to get tested for me as I was not feeling any better.

We end up at the Target clinic for the quick test and I asked her about Alex who has gone instantly from a temperature to laying on the floor in the exam room. She listens to his breathing and took his oxygen levels. She said they were low and recommended we go that night to Urgent Care that night where they could take a chest X-ray.

Alex, Ben and I head over to urgent care and meanwhile Ryan picked up Eli and calls to tell me that he is not feeling well at all.  Alex is diagnosed with pneumonia.  Another day at home for him.  I get home and we get all the kids in bed.  Ryan then gets sick that night.

Thursday Alex and Ryan are home sick.  It was pure craziness at our house!

Since this story is getting long, fast forward throughout the next 3-4 weeks and Ben and Eli also get pneumonia and also colds.  All 3 kids have now had strep and pneumonia and we haven't even hit January. Ryan and I have taken so much time off of work that it is nice we have some flexibility and can do our work anywhere if needed. 

We are hoping for a healthy 2016!!! 

No comments: